Welcome To Glengarry
The Archives are located within the Manor House in the quiet, historic village of Williamstown, Ontario. Some of our records date as far back as the late 1700's.
** Please note! The Sir John Johnson Manor Committee is moving over to the Cletic Hall Of Fame from May 1st until September 30th. Parks Canada will be doing renovations to the house. **
When the land registry offices changed to microfilm records in the 1990's, local history groups acquired the land record abstracts for Glengarry County. The Manor House Committee, a dedicated group of volunteers had these abstracts bound into 30 volumes (actually oversized books). The committee has worked over many years to preserve and share these and other related documents
The Glengarry Archives were established in order to stimulate interest and facilitate local history and genealogical research. People come from across North America to search the archives while tracing their family history.
Come experience a "Ghost" Walk!
Come on The Daytime Walking Tour of Historic Williamstown
Conduct Paranormal Investigations at the Manor House.
See our Events page for more details on the above.....
URGENT APPEAL FOR FUNDING
HELP SAVE OUR HISTORY!
The Sir John Johnson Manor House, important both historically and architecturally, is one of the oldest houses west of the Quebec border and it requires stabilization and restoration. In 2013 the Sir John Johnson Manor House Committee (SJJMHC) submitted a business plan to Parks Canada (PC) (the site owner) to carry out the desperately needed work. In 2015 PC commissioned an engineering study to confirm the project feasibility, and to provide a costing. In 2016 PC approved the project. The project cost is 1.4 million dollars. PC has committed five hundred thousand dollars to the project. The SJJMHC now has to raise nine hundred thousand dollars. When the project is finished the upstairs will have one suite and three bedrooms so people can come and stay in this beautiful historical home. Revenue generated will go to cover operating costs of the site. Income tax receipts will be provided for donations above $10.00.
Archive Holdings: Land Record Abstracts and associated documents such as wills, mortgages, bills of sale, etc. Associated instruments (deeds) from 1867 to the 1990's are also found in our records (those prior to 1867 are housed in the Ontario Archives)
- Glengarry Church indexes of baptisms, marriages, and burials, and cemetery transcriptions, compiled by Alex Fraser & Duncan D. MacDonald
- copies of original registers from Williamstown churches.
|Biographical Information on Sir John Johnson
- notably the research papers of Frank Risteen
|Tweedsmuir history books, Picnic Grove Women's Institute
|Loyalist and Glengarry County history books
|Local family histories and documents|
|Photographs and maps|